Revised Form I-9 Now Available
US Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) released a revised version of Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, on July 17, 2017. Employers can continue using Form I-9 (with a revision date of 11/14/16 N) through September 17, 2017 or start using the new form.
On September 18, 2017, employers must use the new revised form with a revision date of 07/17/17 N. Employers must continue following existing storage and retention rules for any previously completed Form I-9.
The USCIS has given two options for the Form I-9, a “smart” version and a “paper” version. Each can be found at https://www.uscis.gov/i-9.
- Form I-9 “Smart” PDF: This is an interactive version of the form that guides employees and employers through the form using drop-down menus and detailed explanations regarding the information needed in each fillable box.
- Form I-9 Paper PDF: This is the standard version that is unfillable on the computer and must be printed for completion on paper only.
Revisions to the Form I-9 instructions
- USCIS changed the name of the Office of Special Counsel for Immigration-Related Unfair Employment Practices to its new name, Immigrant and Employee Rights Section.
- USCIS removed “the end of” from the phrase “the first day of employment.”
Revisions related to the List of Acceptable Documents on Form I-9
- USCIS added the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) to List C. Employers completing Form I-9 on a computer will be able to select Form FS-240 from the drop-down menus available in List C of Section 2 and Section 3. E-Verify users will also be able to select Form FS-240 when creating a case for an employee who has presented this document for Form I-9.
- USCIS combined all the certifications of report of birth issued by the Department of State (Form FS-545, Form DS-1350 and Form FS-240) into selection C#2 in List C.
- USCIS renumbered all List C documents except the Social Security card. For example, the employment authorization document issued by the Department of Homeland Security on List C will change from List C #8 to List C #7.